Scott Goldberg is the Director of Selman Breitman's Toxic Tort/Environmental and Product Liability Practice Groups. In these roles, Scott supervises attorneys based in each of the firm's offices throughout California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. In addition, he is also a member of the firm's Trucking and Transportation practice and devotes a significant portion of his practice to all types of general liability matters.
Scott is a recognized authority in the field of toxic torts, frequently presenting seminars and speaking on panels both locally and nationally about various defense aspects of lawsuits involving asbestos, benzene, welding fumes, silica, chemicals, mold, and other toxic substances. His speaking engagements focus on both the science and defense of toxic tort cases.
Numerous insurance carriers, manufacturers, distributors, suppliers and premises owners have retained Scott to serve as national, regional and local counsel in a variety of toxic and mass tort litigation matters. In these capacities, he has directed litigation in over 30 states, and personally tried cases in six states.
Scott has achieved numerous trial victories, including a defense verdict in a nationally publicized asbestos case involving 10,000 plaintiffs. Following a three-month jury trial, Scott's client was one of only two defendants to obtain a defense verdict from a jury that awarded the plaintiffs $300 million against the other defendants.
Scott has authored numerous articles addressing liability defense issues arising out of toxic tort claims, including an article entitled "Mixed-Dust Claims Could Be The Next Wave," published in the National Law Journal.
In the field of general liability defense, Scott's litigation experience includes a variety of different types of products, premises, subrogation and auto cases, including assault and battery, false arrest, slip and fall, food poisoning, auto accidents, elevator and escalator defects, fire loss and construction defect and accidents. He has represented manufacturers, suppliers and retailers in cases involving tire blowouts; defective tools, appliances, and machinery; electrical and chemical fires; and explosions resulting in serious bodily injury.
- Obtained defense verdict in product liability lawsuit against seller of friction products after five week trial.
- Obtained defense verdicts in California, Texas and Tennessee in product liability lawsuits brought against manufacturers of fluid sealing products.
- Obtained defense verdict after three month trial involving 10,000 plaintiffs where jury awarded $300 million against other defendants.
- Provides national counsel services for a manufacturer of chemicals for the print industry.
- Successful trial defense of a gasket distributor in several asbestos cases in which plaintiffs have claimed illness, or death of another, as a result of an asbestos-related illness.
- Represented a leading microwave popcorn manufacturer in a case alleging toxic exposure to diacetyl. After aggressive law, motion and discovery in the early stages of litigation the plaintiffs dismissed their claim.
- Represented client retail store in a trial brought by a man dying of cancer called mesothelioma. The plaintiff claimed that his disease was a result of exposure to asbestos from products sold by client. After a six-week trial, the jury unanimously returned a defense verdict in favor of client.
- A favorable resolution was obtained in a binding arbitration in a toxic mold case on behalf of a commercial property owner. Plaintiff's demand was several million dollars in damages. Stachybotrys and other toxic molds had invaded a commercial building, and the building was subsequently evacuated. Through cross-examination of plaintiff and her medical experts, the arbitrator was convinced that there was no credible evidence that the mold exposure did anything more than act as a temporary irritant.
- Represented a welding material manufacturer in cases involving dozens of individual plaintiff lawsuits. The plaintiffs claimed our client's product, along with other welding manufacture defendants suffered from overexposure to manganese, which caused them to suffer Parkinson disease-like symptoms. The cases involved complex medical and industrial hygiene issues. We successfully obtained voluntary dismissals – through aggressive discovery tactics, summary judgment motions, and settlement discussion – of all welding rod cases against our client.
- Rojas v. Superior Court
Lead/coordinating counsel for subcontractor defendants in a large toxic exposure action involving a $200 million claim by plaintiffs. The trial court denied plaintiffs' motions to compel production of material produced by defendants in connection with mediation held prior to litigation. Plaintiffs filed petition for writ of mandate challenging the trial court's rulings, which petition the Court of Appeal granted. After the firm filed briefs supporting defendants' position that the materials were privileged, we successfully negotiated a dismissal of our client prior to oral argument before the State's appellate courts. The Court found in favor of position expressed on behalf of Selman Breitman's client.
- Scott has been designated a Super Lawyer for many years and was named one of the top 100 lawyers in Southern California in 2007, 2014-2018.
- Scott is an avid triathlete and skier.
Professional Associates and Memberships
- Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), Fellow
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- LA Tri Club
- Southern California Super Lawyers: 2006-2018
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell