Ryan M. Sellers is an Associate in Selman Breitman’s Orange County office and is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Commercial Litigation, and General Liability practice groups. Ryan represents his clients in insurance coverage disputes, personal injury lawsuits, and complex business litigation, including cases arising out of alleged "bad faith," failure to defend and/or indemnify, violations of the Labor Code, consumer fraud, and unfair competition law. Ryan’s clients include insurance carriers, rental car companies, and a variety of small businesses. He also has experience in representing creditors in disputes that involve complex bankruptcy issues.
Ryan’s extensive experience in General Liability provides him a unique ability to investigate and defend claims from the inception of a lawsuit through appeal, be it a favorable settlement, dispositive motion, or verdict after trial. He works closely with his clients to obtain the most favorable result in a quick and efficient manner.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained Statement of Decision in favor of insurer client following Bench Trial in Los Angeles Complex Court. The claimant sought to enforce a $9 million default judgment against our client's named insured plastering subcontractor. The claimant's lowest settlement demand before trial was $900,000. The Court awarded nothing to the claimant.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained dismissal of insured's fraud claim at the pleadings stage.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained monetary sanctions in the amount of $7,500 against plaintiff and her attorney in defense of bad faith lawsuit due to plaintiff's refusal to provide detailed factual responses to discovery.
- Personal Injury Defense: Successfully intervened on behalf of insurer in auto accident lawsuit to set aside high six-figure default judgment then negotiated a settlement for a small fraction of the initial judgment amount.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained favorable settlements on behalf of major rental car company in defense of auto injury claims, including a lawsuit brought by a professional soccer player. The plaintiff's claimed medical specials were in the high six figure range and included a spinal fusion surgery. Plaintiff also alleged significant damages for pain and suffering and lost wages. Plaintiff demanded $2.5 million at mediation but settled for a small fraction of this amount.
- Business Litigation: Successfully opposed motion to compel production of third party employment records on relevance grounds on behalf of large accountancy firm.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against defunct insured's foreign parent company for audited unpaid premiums. The lawsuit involved complex issues of alter ego and fraudulent transfer.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against insured for audited unpaid premiums.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial landlord against prior tenants in excess of $400,000.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member