Peter Mintzer is the Managing Partner of Selman Breitman's Pacific Northwest Group and works in the Seattle office. He is a member of the firm's Insurance Coverage, Toxic Tort/Environmental, and Construction Law practice groups.
Peter represents insurers in complex insurance coverage matters, particularly in the areas of environmental, toxic torts, construction defect, product defect, general liability, and professional liability matters. He also represents businesses and governmental entities in product liability, construction defect, environmental, class action, professional liability, and toxic exposure matters.
Providing monitoring counsel services, Peter assists insurers and other stakeholders in working with defense counsel and the insured and its coverage counsel in evaluating exposure to effectively resolve claims for which a defense and/or coverage is being afforded.
Additionally, Peter handles large-loss subrogation matters for insurers and self-insured entities and serves as a court-appointed Arbitrator for the Superior Courts in King, Pierce, Skagit, Thurston and Snohomish counties. He also handles cross-pollination and other property damage claims for hemp and cannabis producers.
Peter is a frequent speaker at professional conferences and seminars in the areas of insurance claims and related topics. He is a Chapter Editor of the Washington Insurance Litigation Practice Guide (LexisNexis), and frequently provides in-house training for clients on complex insurance claims and related litigation.
Before law school, Peter worked as a Journeyman Carpenter in Local 135, United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners, New York, N.Y.
Peter is also a licensed captain and holds a Masters License from the United States Coast Guard.
Born and raised in New York, Peter has lived in the Pacific Northwest for over 30 years. He resides in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle with his wife and two children. When not at work, Peter can often be found on the Puget Sound or in the San Juan Islands.
Environmental/Toxic Tort Matters
- Representation of railroad company/PRP in a multi-party Superfund site in Commencement Bay, Washington
- Representation of bulk fuel terminal operator in Consent Decree cleanup of site adjacent to federal Superfund site in Tacoma, WA
- Representation of major Port in Superfund contribution litigation related to the Midway Landfill NPL site;
- Representation of insurers in subrogation/contribution litigation against neighboring PRPs in Duwamish industrial neighborhood in South Seattle;
- Representation of non-ferrous metals dealer in Consent Decree cleanup at Federal Superfund site and related defense of contribution litigation brought by major oil company neighbor;
- Representation of construction/trucking company in connection with contribution litigation related to its former operations depot site in Snohomish County, WA;
- Representation of cooling tower maintenance contracting firm in defense of enforcement action brought by USEPA Region Ten arising from alleged emissions of asbestos in the course of its work;
- Representation of non-profit entity in claim from a neighbor alleging pollutants from client’s site, a former retail gas station, were impacting neighbor’s cleanup of adjacent site.
- Representation of metal plating business in investigation and remediation of site and defense of CERCLA litigation filed by neighbor.
Insurance Coverage Matters
- Champion International Inc. v. Aetna, et al., (King County Superior Court, Seattle, WA) (37 sites);
- Georgia Pacific Corp. v. Aetna, et al. (King County Superior Court (43 sites);
- Boise Cascade Corp. v. Aetna, et al., (Ada County, Boise ID) (35 sites);
- Puget Sound Power & Light Co. v. Aetna, et al. (W.D. Wash.) (14 sites);
- The Boeing Company v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyds, et al. (King Cty, WA) (40 sites)
- ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. American National Ins. Co. et al., (Multnomah Cty, Portland OR);
- Seagram & Sons v. Travelers, et al. (USDC D. Alaska) (former oil drilling location in Wrangell-St.Elias National Park in southeast Alaska);
- North Pacific Seafoods Inc. v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyds, et al. (USDC W.D. Wash.) (seafood processing facility in Alaska);
- Foss Maritime Inc. v. Travelers, et al. (King Cty, Seattle, WA);
- Sulzer Pumps Inc. v. Pacific Indemnity Co., et al. (Mult. Cty OR) (Portland Harbor Superfund Site; appointed by Court as liaison counsel for defendants);
- Gull Industries Inc. v. Allianz Underwriters Ins. Co., et al. (King Cty Superior Court) (220 current or former gas station sites in WA, OR, ID and NV).
- Louisiana Pacific OSB Coverage Litigation – Northwestern Pacific Indem. Co. v. Louisiana Pacific Corp. et al. (Mult. Cty. Cir. Ct)
- In re: Shake Company of California (Alameda County) (coverage action relating to a class action arising from allegedly defective cement-based roof tiles).
- Boeing Company Employment-Related Discrimination Claims (coverage counsel to insurer regarding class action ERD claims).
- Evanston Ins. Co. v. Clartre Inc. (W.D. Wash.) (advertising injury coverage action related to claims arising from fire retardant treated wood shakes).
Peter also serves as a court-appointed Arbitrator for the Superior Courts in King, Pierce and Snohomish Counties.
Before going to law school, Peter worked as a Journeyman Carpenter in Local 135, United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners, New York, N.Y.
- Washington Super Lawyers: 2016-2020
- Rated Distinguished® by Martindale-Hubbell