Justin Landreth is a Partner in the firm’s Seattle office and is a member of the firm’s Insurance practice group. He focuses his practice on complex coverage litigation, including cases arising out of environmental claims, product liability claims, public entity liability, and advertising injury claims. He also has experience providing clients with coverage opinions on environmental, professional liability, advertising injury, D&O, agricultural, products liability, construction, and homeowners claims. Justin also regularly advises on sovereign nations commercial liability claims and underwriting issues. Additionally, he assists insurers with reinsurance and captive insurer issues.
Justin’s considerable experience in insurance provides him with a unique ability to provide client-focused service from initial claim through trial. He works closely with claims representatives and counsel to limit exposure to the insurer and resolve claims in a cost-effective manner.
Justin is also experienced in representing companies in business litigation and advising clients on strategies to avoid litigation.
Called upon by clients, Justin often gives presentations on various subject matters relating to insurance, including those specifically relating to claims and underwriting. He has also published materials relating to insurance coverage litigation and life, health, and disability insurance issues.
Justin served as the 2015-2016 Chairman of the Northwest Insurance Coverage Association (NICA). NICA is an organization of claims professional and coverage attorneys based in Seattle. The organization regularly holds CLE and CE events providing members with updates on insurance coverage issues.
While in law school Justin worked with a non-profit organization, managing a team assisting the parliament of Iraq in drafting legislation and implementing the Iraqi Constitution.
- Represented insurer in complex environmental and products liability insurance coverage litigation, including month-long jury trial.
- Represented property insurer in regulatory filing to limit new coverage areas. Obtained favorable ruling from Insurance Commissioner and Court of Appeals.
- Defended insurer against claims for disability benefits and obtained summary judgment for insurer.
- Lead counsel for healthcare company seeking over $175,000 in unpaid invoices from client. Defeated defendant's corporate succession defenses and obtained summary judgment for 100% of damages.
- Advised small business on changes to standard form contracts.
- Contributing author, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Insurance Litigation (Franklin Cordell ed., 2014)
- Contributing author, ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits, American Bar Association (Brooks Magratten ed., 2010)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association, Chairman 2015-2016
- Washington Super Lawyers Rising Stars: 2016-2018