Bruce G.ChusidOf Counsel
Bruce Chusid is Of Counsel in Selman Breitman’s Los Angeles office and is a member of the firm’s Toxic Tort/Environmental Products Liability, and General Liability practice groups. Bruce represents corporate clients in federal and state court civil litigation, including cases arising out of claimed exposures to asbestos and chemicals. Bruce’s clients include manufacturers, contractors, premises owners and distributors.
Bruce’s decades-long experience in Toxic Tort/Environmental litigation provides him a unique ability to evaluate liability, causation and damages issues, efficiently investigate and defend claims, and try cases if necessary. He has participated in the defense steering committees responsible for drafting and implementing complex asbestos litigation general orders in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orange County Superior Courts.
Bruce has provided volunteer legal services through the Bet Tzedek House of Justice representing tenants and the elderly, and received the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services.
Bruce is originally from New York, has lived in California for 35 years and presently resides in West Los Angeles. When not helping clients with their legal needs he spends his time hiking in the mountains with his German Shepherd and Labrador Retriever.
- Dismissal was obtained for an equipment manufacturer in the wake of threat of motion to compel and request for sanctions for plaintiffs' failure to timely respond to discovery, in a toxic tort matter in which plaintiffs alleged that decedent's injuries were caused by exposure to asbestos-containing materials used in association with manufacturer's product.
- Dismissal was obtained for a waiver of costs on behalf of an equipment manufacturer, after filing a motion for summary judgment on the grounds that there was no evidence that decedent was exposed to asbestos from any products manufactured by client. Plaintiffs alleged that decedent, an insulator, developed lung cancer from occupational exposures to asbestos while working at various commercial locations in Southern California.
- Dismissal was obtained for a waiver of costs on behalf of a talc supplier, after filing a motion for summary judgment on the grounds that there was no evidence that decedent was exposed to asbestos from any products containing talc supplied by client. Plaintiffs alleged that decedent developed mesothelioma from exposure to asbestos while serving in the U.S. Navy, while working as a truck driver, and while performing construction work.
- Obtained dismissal with motion for summary judgment pending, based upon lack of medical causation, in a product liability case where plaintiff alleged his disease was caused by exposure to asbestos from products manufactured by client.
- Summary judgment was obtained in federal MDL court based on lack of causation in toxic exposure product liability case where plaintiffs alleged that decedent's mesothelioma was caused by exposure to talc used in manufacturing of rubber.
- Dismissal was obtained for product manufacturer prior to hearing on summary judgment motion in a case in which plaintiffs were unable to obtain evidence to support their allegation that decedent worked with or around an asbestos-containing product for which manufacturer was responsible.
- Represented various manufacturers and suppliers of construction materials in cases alleging toxic exposure to asbestos. Many cases resulted in an early dismissal of the client after depositions were taken, while others resulted in favorable settlements well before trial.
- Very favorable settlement of personal injury claim against a popular racetrack was obtained after the jury submitted questions during deliberations suggesting that a defense verdict was likely.
Mr. Chusid has provided volunteer legal services through the Bet Tzedek House of Justice representing tenants and the elderly. In 2004, he received the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Super Lawyers: 2012-2019