Rosario L.VizzieOf Counsel
Rosario Vizzie is Of Counsel in Selman Breitman’s Los Angeles office and is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, and Product Liability practice groups. He represents developers and general contractors, as well as subcontractors and product manufacturers in construction defect litigation. As a commercial litigator and trial lawyer, Rosario has significant experience handling complex corporate disputes, focusing on public entity and general liability, real estate, construction, products liability, M&A, intellectual property, and financial services litigation. Rosario has represented Fortune 500 and high net worth clients in “bet the company” and high-stakes cases to defend claims based on earn-outs, representations and warranties, shareholder agreements, government investigations, and indemnity agreements. He has worked closely with top corporate lawyers and clients who sought early litigation counsel, both before and after an acquisition or merger closes, in order to salvage deals, protect against losses, and prepare for anticipated litigation.
Rosario has obtained successful results for clients at trials and arbitrations involving the misappropriation of a breakthrough portable kidney dialysis device, breach of technology agreements for a cutting-edge remote server access system, company directors’ fraudulent acts in a multi-million dollar predatory lending action, and the cancellation of forged title documents involving fraud claims to convert bank-owned properties. As lead trial attorney, Rosario has obtained highly favorable outcomes in a broad range of claims involving general liability, real estate, construction, residential foreclosure, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, RICO, breach of contract, violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, allegations of statutory violations (e.g., TILA and RESPA), and negligence.
Rosario has been responsible for managing all facets of litigation from pre-litigation to the filing of a complaint through trial in defense of major companies throughout California federal and state courts; has argued numerous dispositive motions on demurrers, motions to dismiss and for summary judgment; and has successfully handled numerous settlement negotiations at mediations, arbitrations, and settlement conferences. Rosario also has significant experience representing clients on appeals, including drafting opening or respondent’s briefs and handling the oral arguments in state appellate court on behalf of two global top ten banking institutions.
With an established Commercial Litigation and Construction Law practice, Rosario fully understands complex claims and defenses, regularly evaluates complicated coverage issues, and collaborates with clients to investigate and defend claims from pre-litigation demand through trial. Through gained experience, Rosario has worked closely with senior management, in-house counsel, and other clients to formulate practical strategies to resolve litigated and non-litigated matters efficiently.
Prior to joining Selman Breitman, Rosario was a Commercial Litigator and Trial Attorney at an AmLaw Top 100 firm. He was also previously Senior Assistant Counsel to New York State Governor George E. Pataki, for whom he worked as the youngest appointed counsel to the Governor in New York history at the time.
Originally from New York, Rosario presently resides in Los Angeles. When not helping clients with their legal needs, he spends time traveling, golfing and playing tennis with his wife and two sons, enjoying historical fiction, and representing children in adoption and guardianship cases via The Children's Rights’ Alliance.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), Member
- Co-Presenter, “Deposition Techniques During the COVID-19 Pandemic” (Presented to California offices for 2020)
- Author and Presenter, “Common Malpractice Pitfalls” (Webinar presented to California offices for 2016-2019)
- Panelist, Annual Conference of Professional Liability In-House Firm Counsel for Southern California (Hosted by ALAS for 2017-2019)
- Co-Author and Presenter, “Enforceability of Waiver of Automatic Stay” (Webinar presented to attorneys and clients for 2016)
- Co-Author and Presenter, “Fraudulent Conveyance Basics and Avoiding Post-Closing Litigation Challenges to An Asset Sale” (Webinar presented to attorneys and clients for 2016)
- Co-Presenter, “Litigation Issues Arising From M&A Transactions” (Webinar presented to attorneys and clients for 2016)
- Co-Author and Presenter, “Litigating Indemnities, Representations and Warranties” (Webinar presented to attorneys and clients for 2015)
- Author, “Electronic Discovery: Preparing for Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure” (Presented to attorneys for 2006-2007)
- Author, “The Push for a Federal Ban on Internet Gaming: Legislation On The Move” (Speech for PLI Conference on Internet Gaming in Toronto, Canada for 2003)
- Author, “Survey of State and Local Anti-Terrorism Initiatives” (Speech for 2002 speaker series at University Synagogue in Brentwood, California)
- Organizer and Host, “Meet the Candidates: A Political Roundtable Discussion” (Series of lectures and fundraisers involving state political candidates for 2002)