Lara M. Kruska is an Associate in Selman Breitman’s Los Angeles office and is a member of the firm’s Toxic Tort/Environmental, Products Liability, and General Liability practice groups. Lara represents corporations in complex litigation matters, with a primary influence in toxic tort defense, including cases arising out of personal injury, wrongful death, negligence, strict liability, tortious conduct, premises liability, and contractor liability. Lara’s clients include various manufacturers, distributors, premises, contractors, and suppliers of construction materials, equipment, and component parts.
Lara’s considerable experience provides her with a unique ability to interpret the specific scientific and legal issues in these cases, and to implement strategic approaches to leverage early dismissals and aid in favorable settlements of claims. She works closely with insureds, claim representatives, national counsel, and general counsel, and through innovative and aggressive motion practice serves her clients’ interests.
Lara was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. When not helping clients with their legal needs, she spends her time swimming, reading, and traveling the world.
- Represented various manufacturers and suppliers of piping materials, construction materials, equipment, and component parts in cases alleging toxic exposure to asbestos in state and federal court. Many cases resulted in an early dismissal of the client after depositions were taken, while others resulted in favorable settlements well before trial.
- Obtained dismissal in federal court case for equipment component manufacturer, after filing a motion for summary judgment on the grounds that there was no evidence that plaintiff was exposed to asbestos from any products manufactured by defendant. Plaintiff alleged he developed mesothelioma from occupational exposure to asbestos while working as a plumber/pipefitter at various commercial and industrial locations in California, Arizona, and New Mexico.
- Obtained dismissals in multiple state court cases for various types of defendants in asbestos litigation, including an equipment component manufacturer, piping materials supplier, kiln manufacturer, and construction product manufacturer, after establishing plaintiffs' inability to establish causation between defendants' products and/or equipment and the plaintiffs' ultimate development of disease.
- Obtained dismissals in multiple state court cases on behalf of equipment component manufacturers in asbestos cases, despite the fact the defendants were identified during depositions, upon establishing that plaintiffs could not have been exposed to the alleged asbestos-containing products from the defendants.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Stars, 2015-2018
- Up-and-Coming Top 100, 2016-2018
- Up-and-Coming Top 50 Women, 2016-2018