Elizabeth (Betsy) Doyle is an Associate in Selman Breitman’s San Francisco office and a member of the firm's Insurance, Insurance Coverage, General Liability, and Professional Liability practice groups. Prior to joining Selman Breitman, Betsy served as in-house coverage counsel for a major national insurance company. She is an experienced coverage lawyer and skilled litigator with a deep knowledge of general liability, professional liability, and first party property insurance coverage law across California and the Western United States. Betsy represents insurers in insurance coverage and bad faith lawsuits arising under general liability, professional liability, motor truck cargo liability, and first-party property policies.
Betsy's areas of focus include:
• General Liability
• Construction Defect Claims
• Contractual Indemnity
• Professional Liability
• Excess Coverage and Exhaustion Issues
• First Party Property and Business Interruption Claims
• Litigation Management
She also has experience in representing insurers and their policyholders in transportation and motor truck cargo legal liability matters involving complex losses.
A problem-solver by nature, Betsy has a keen ability to evaluate complex coverage disputes and develop the best litigation strategy to achieve the client's objective. Her diligence and good judgment provides her clients peace of mind.
A native of San Francisco, Betsy resides in the city with her husband.
- Successfully resolved a group of bad faith / coverage lawsuits arising from a $4 million construction defect lawsuit in Washington state for below policy limit settlement authority, preventing substantial extra-contractual liability to client
- Obtained recovery from a responsible co-insurer after client settled a catastrophic birth injury lawsuit against a mutual insured labor and delivery nurse for $1 million policy limit
- Won summary adjudication of a bad faith lawsuit by a textile manufacturer in Los Angeles County, resulting in the dismissal of three of four disputed equipment breakdown claims
- Successfully resolved multiple complex and hard-fought first-party bad faith lawsuits arising out of fire loss, water damage, and business interruption claims in California
- Obtained favorable binding arbitration awards with respect to first party property and business interruption claims
- Protected numerous policyholders from verdicts in excess of policy limits by persuading non-participating insurers to accept primary and/or additional insured obligations to mutual insureds in construction defect, jobsite injury, and medical malpractice lawsuits, resulting in significant risk transfer from client and reimbursement of expenses
Awards and Affiliations:
Bar Association of San Francisco