Edward C. (Ned) Schroeder, Jr. is a Partner in Selman Breitman’s San Francisco office and is a member of the firm’s Construction, General Liability, and Products Liability practice groups. He represents defendants and cross-defendants in all manner of contract dispute, arbitration, and civil litigation, including cases arising out of personal injuries, subrogation, residential and commercial construction and construction-related personal injury. His clients include business owners, shops, contractors, suppliers, and manufacturers, as well as the insurance companies for contractors in complaints in intervention. He also has experience representing business owners in disputes that involve accessibility claims arising out of alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the parallel statutes in California.
With considerable experience in construction and personal injury claims, Ned is highly-astute at evaluating complex contractual and construction issues. He works closely with clients and claims professionals to quickly evaluate claims and cases, to assess and evaluate the defenses, and to create a plan of resolution that is cost effective, given the potential excessive litigation expenses that both clients and insurance companies are confronted with in California. This includes aggressively litigating claims, where appropriate, or negotiating settlements to limit exposure and expense in order to serve his client’s interests.
Ned is a member of the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He has practiced law continuously since 1990, and has prepared and argued appeals before the First, Fifth and Third District Courts of Appeals. Of the appeals argued, Cohen v. Five Brooks Stable, 159 Cal.App.4th 1476 (2008); and Bradley v. Breen, 73 Cal.App.4th 798 (1999), have been published. In addition, Ned has several unpublished appellate decisions.
Originally from Los Angeles, Ned presently resides in Oakland, California. When not helping clients with their legal needs, he coaches a high school rugby team.
- Summary judgment was obtained on behalf of client horse stables in a suit filed by a rider who fell from her horse. The trial court was convinced that the release prohibited the action. Plaintiff appealed the decision, then settled for a nominal amount before the appeal was heard. Shortly thereafter, the decision was reversed by the appellate court (notwithstanding a request that they not render a decision).
- A defense verdict was secured in a breach of contract/duty to defend action brought by a nationwide general contractor against a concrete place and finish subcontractor. The lawsuit involved defective use of Fibermesh product in the parking garage of an office building. A defense verdict was obtained in a two-week-long bench trial in Sacramento County Superior Court. After the Court determined that the case brought by plaintiff building owner was barred by the four-year statute of limitations, the Court then decided that the general contractor had failed to present its case for costs of defense in second phase.
- A defense verdict was obtained in a case that went to jury in Santa Clara County Superior Court, on behalf of client general contractor. Client was accused of abandoning the job to another contractor. A showing was made that the evidence was insufficient to establish that there was a contract between client and owner.
- Defended a stainless steel column installer in a light industrial complex in a construction defect, breach of contract action brought by owner against general contractor and many other subcontractors. The month-long binding arbitration ended in a defense verdict for client. Subsequently, the case was settled in parallel insurance litigation over costs of defending general contractor.
Mr. Schroeder is a licensed soccer referee and coach for a high school rugby team. He played rugby for UCLA in the 80's, and several years ago offered his services as a coach to the Piedmont High School rugby club. He has been coaching for four years, and just last year the club added a women's team which is being coached by Mr. Schroeder.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell