Diana L. Winfrey is a Partner in Selman Breitman's Los Angeles office, and a member of the firm's Insurance practice group. She represents insurance companies in coverage and related matters, with an emphasis on construction defect cases involving multiple primary and excess policies, as well as OCIP (Wrap Up) policies. Diana provides insurance coverage analysis for first-party and third-party general liability claims, including but not limited to claims involving products liability, intellectual property, aviation, and garage policies.
Widely recognized for her industry experience, Diana was personally designated as lead coverage counsel for the West Coast by a major insurer. She counsels insurers regarding underwriting issues and business practices, drafts policy language and endorsements, and assists with claims handling issues including compliance with insurance laws and regulations. She handled the Lloyd’s of London artisan program, supervising a team of attorneys, and instructed a new third-party administrator in handling the claims. Diana develops exemplar letters for use by the claims handlers for denial of claims and reserving rights. She assisted a major insurer during its due diligence in the acquisition of a London syndicate, and assisted said insurer once it acquired the London syndicate. In addition, she prepares opinion letters and assists in handling declaratory relief actions. She meets with underwriters to discuss concerns with policy forms, and suggests alternative language, and has marketed insurers in the U.S. and London markets, bringing in new clients and matters. She is frequently called upon to speak to insurer organizations and third-party administrators on topics relating to claims handling, offering insight on developments in insurance coverage law throughout the United States.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Philanthropy Chair, DRI's Annual Construction Seminar for 2020
- Program Chair for DRI’s 2019 Construction Law Seminar
- Co-Vice-Chair for DRI’s 2018 Construction Law Seminar
- Chair of the DRI Construction Law Specialized Legal Group - Insurance Coverage, 2015-present
- Member of Steering Committees for the Annual Construction Law Seminars, 2012- present
- Member of Insurance Relations Committee (to engage insurance professionals to join and participate in DRI)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM); Member, 2008-present
Speaking Engagements and Publications:
- Panel Speaker at 2017 Construction Law Seminar, "When Your Hard Hat Is Not Enough: Insurance Products for Contractors to Protect Their Bottom Line and Their Clients"
- Panel Speaker at 2015 Construction Law Seminar, "Coverage Trends Affecting the Defense and Defense Obligations"
- Published articles in connection with DRI Annual Construction Seminars, including co-authored article on "Construction 101 - Tips for Handling Construction Defect Claims", and co-authored article on "Insurance Products for Contractors." Co-developing new program "Boot-camp 101, Instructions on Handling Construction Cases for New Attorneys and Adjusters.