David A.CainSenior Associate
David A. Cain is a Senior Associate in Selman Breitman’s San Diego office and is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Commercial Litigation, General Liability, and Trucking and Transportation practice groups. Dave represents insurers in coverage disputes, including cases arising out of first- and third-party property casualty issues, construction, and employment matters. He also draws from his deep history in the airline and aerospace industries, leveraging his experience to represent aviation manufacturers and operators in issues ranging from regulatory compliance to extracontractual disputes.
With considerable experience handling insurance and general liability disputes, Dave is able to analyze issues and provide practical advice to his clients. He works closely with clients and claims representatives with the goal of quickly responding to their needs, addressing all angles of an issue, and aggressively serving their interests. He is called upon by clients and aviation groups to give presentations on various subject matters relating to aviation operations, regulatory development, and emerging issues, including those specifically relating to unmanned aviation.
Dave grew up around the world on U.S. Air Force Bases, and presently resides in San Diego with his family. When not helping clients with their legal needs, he spends his time with his family and following baseball.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- American Bar Association Forum on Air & Space Law
- California Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- California Western School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Leadership Award (Air & Space Law), San Diego Chapter
- Erickson Trophy (Leadership), 223d Infantry Regiment, California Army National Guard
- Airline Transport Certificate
Speaking Engagements / Presentations / Publications:
- LEGAL.COM, Legal Writer, My Child Was in a Car Accident! What Should I Do? April 2018 (Protecting the Interests of Minor Children in the Personal Injury Context, Sacramento, CA)
- AIR LAW INSTITUTE AIR & SPACE LAW SYMPOSIUM, Panel Speaker, March 2016 (Unmanned Aircraft Integration from the Ground Up, San Diego, CA)
- UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO, UNIVERSITY OF THE THIRD AGE, Speaker, July 2015 (From Drawing Boards to Daily Buzz: Commercial Drones in the New Age, San Diego, CA)
- INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF SHOPPING CENTERS LAW CONFERENCE, Speaker, October 2015 (Use and Legal Implications of Drones in the Shopping Center Context, Phoenix, AZ)
- AIR LAW INSTITUTE AIR & SPACE LAW SYMPOSIUM, Panel Speaker, March 2015 (Large Unmanned Aircraft Systems: The Future of Air Transport, San Diego, CA)
- TIMES OF SAN DIEGO, Legal Writer, February 2015 (How the FAA is Getting it Right on Unmanned Aircraft)
- AIR LAW INSTITUTE AIR & SPACE LAW SYMPOSIUM, Panel Speaker, March 2014 (The Aeroregulatory Bramble Bush: Where We've Been & Where We're Going, San Diego, CA)
- LEGAL.COM, Legal Writer, From the Wild West to the National Airspace System: 2013 (Roadmap for Integration of UAS into the National Airspace System, Sacramento, CA)